06 Police Station

Residence 1889

In 1889 the first full time Police Officer, William Johnson, lived and worked from this residence. The residence also housed the police station, two cells and living quarters. A new separate lock up was built in 1932. This lock up has now been relocated to the Museum.

In 1933 a small Police Station was built next door to the residence and remained in use until 1997 when the current station was built facing Pattison Street. The paddock behind the Police Station contained the police horse which was the only form of transport until 1939 when a bicycle was also purchased.

Police Station 1933

The police officer rode his bike to and from Keppel Sands on a fortnightly basis. In 1959 a Triumph motorcycle for police use replaced the bicycle. It was not until May 1968 that the station had its first police car – a second hand Ford Cortina. In the early days only one officer was required for the District which consisted of about 350 residents in Emu Park,150 at Keppel Sands and another 200 spread across the area.

An extra police officer was appointed during the Christmas and Easter holidays when the town’s population would swell by 1,000 visitors.

The Police Officer’s additional duties included Agent for Social Services, State Govt Insurance Office, Public Curator, Inspector of Fisheries, State and Federal Electoral Officer, Assistant District Registrar for Births and Deaths and Receiver of Taxes.


Image 1 of 2